August 10, 2014

Let's See Your Classrooms!

Share with me your blog posts about your classroom setup! I really want to see them! Leave a link to your blog in the comments below and I will view all of them and comment on all of them!



That being said, here's mine. I am extremely pleased with it! I'm even linking it up with Monday Made It over at 4th Grade Frolics because my mom and I totally raided The Dollar Tree for the materials for most of these projects! I am so excited for my #pirateclassroom !


This is a picture of my reading corner. I did hang a couple of small posters up to the right of the mast about picking a "just-right" book and the procedures of choosing a reading buddy (stuffed animal) and putting books back, etc. but I took this picture before I hung them. Oops! This project was so easy!


I found this beauty and bought them for $1 a roll! For this project it took 1 and a half rolls of the contact paper.


Also at The Dollar Tree, I found a white plastic table cloth and two pool noodles. I duct taped the pool noodles together and wrapped it in the wood grain contact paper for the mast.


This picture cracks me up! That's my mom under there! We cut a hole in the center of the table cloth the size of the pool noodles and put the noodle through it. For extra support we used Scotch tape to secure it in place on the noodle. We then just used packing tape to attach the bottom of the noodle mast to the wall towards the bottom (by the floor). 


I am fortunate enough to be in a room where I can staple into the walls. We stapled the top two corners of the sail into the walls on either side. Then we took some string which I had leftover from a project I did several years ago and tied a big loop on either side of the sail to make it look kinda bunchy. Isn't my mom cute with her nautical shirt on? She's so supportive!


This idea came later in the process. Originally, I wanted the letters attached directly to the sail, but as we were working with the plastic table cloth, we quickly discovered that it is hard to get things to stick to it. So since we used string to bunch up the sail, I had the idea of making a sign to hold the word "Adventure" in "Reading is an Adventure." We used leftover contact paper on some cardstock and attached the letters I got from a teacher supply store (on clearance!!). My mom chopped up the edges a bit to make it look like a piece of wood on a pirate ship.


We used a mini stapler and simply stapled the cardstock sign to the strings that were tied around our sail.


Using the same kind of string as the sail, we created a draping string of letters with some different letters I also got at the teacher supply store to spell out "Reading is an." We tied the strings of lettering between the two strings that bunch up the sail and they looked great!!


Here's another picture of the finished project but with my super cute chevron rug. I found that at the flea market brand new for $12, ya'll!! It looks like bright colored waves in the ocean!

Here's a breakdown of how much this project cost me:
1 white plastic table cloth = $1
2 pool noodles = $2
1 and a half rolls of wood grain contact paper (I used the rest in another project) = $1.50
cardstock (leftover from another project out of a pack of 12x12 with 100 sheets) = $0.05
Lettering (out of a huge pack that have a lot more letters to use) = approximately $0.75

TOTAL: About $5.30


MORE PICTURES of my classroom:


"Captain's Corner"
4 rolls of wood grain contact paper = $4
polka dot plastic table cloth = $1
1 pool noodle = $1
4 polka dot paper plates (out of a pack of ten for $1) = $0.40
red duct tape ($3 total and used for another project) = approximately $1
parrot cutout (part of a pirate classroom decor set for $10) = approximately $0.25
skull and crossbones printout (printed by myself onto cardstock) = approximately $0.10
2 leftover science fair display boards = free for me (but about $3 a piece)

TOTAL: $7.75



iPhone Job Chart:

1 oil drip pan for cars = $11
1 black plastic table cloth = $1
6 sheets of cardstock and color ink =  approximately $2
Mod Podge (a whole bottle cost me about $6) = approximately $1

TOTAL: $15



For more info on creating the red polka dot word wall with paper plates, click HERE for a previous post or click the photo above!


For a previous Monday Made It post on how to make the Teacher Toolbox, click HERE or the photo above.


This is an old DVD shelf that my sister-in-law gave me years ago that I have had in my living room for a while and then in storage for a while waiting to be used. Once we moved into our new house, we didn't want it anymore, so I repurposed it as a shelf for my classroom by covering the backs of the shelves with colored paper and some fish die cuts I had from a yard sale. The shelves are the perfect size for our reading series leveled readers and small things like flash card sets, dice containers, small containers of manipulatives, etc.


These are on each table. Each frame was 99 cents!


This is a rules poem I found online and loved. I typed them up and printed them to put into more 99 cent frames. They are hanging next to my white board.


If you love my classroom, I have bundled all of the printables and materials needed to recreate these projects into a Pirates and Polka Dots Theme Pack on my TpT store. There's much more included! Here are images of the preview which you can also see HERE.




Enjoy!